The president is selected by a prescribed process to serve for a specific term of office (June 1 to May 31). The president:
- Reports to the Youth Development committee chair (see the organization chart if a Youth Development committee has not yet been established) and serves as a member of that committee.
- Works with volunteer advisors and staff advisors of their own VOA and with Venturing presidents at the tiers above and below them.
- Appoints and supervises vice presidents, VOA liaisons, and additional optional VOA youth positions.
- Leads the youth officer selection process and interviews.
- Represents the VOA to Scouting leadership at the same tier.
- Motivates and coordinates the three vice presidents and any other appointed VOA members in assigned tasks and conducting meetings with them as needed.
- Helps train and mentor presidents in lower tiers.
- Plans and leads regular meetings of the VOA.
- Assists VOA members with the selection of subsidiary youth members.
- Assists the volunteer advisor with selection of subsidiary advisors.
- Tracks all goals for the VOA and provides regular progress reports to the Youth Development committee.